Apply for this positionApply Now
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency with a team of over 3,000 personnel dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 14 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
The vision of the International Programmes Directorate is to inspire and enable GOAL to deliver high quality, safe, inclusive, and accountable programmes, in compliance with host government, GOAL and donor rules and regulations.
Overview & Job Purpose
GOAL is seeking to recruit a Regional Director for GOALs regional operations.
The Regional Director (RD) will be responsible for guiding the strategic development and alignment of GOAL’s existing country programmes in and strategically developing GOALs regional presence in line with GOAL’s global strategy.
Reporting to the Director of International Programmes, the RD will be responsible for providing leadership and line management to Country Directors and provide a key management link between Country Teams and GOAL’s HQ team on high level issues relating to a) leadership and Organizational Development, b) Business Development and Partnership and c) Governance and Communications.
In addition, as GOAL embarks on implementation of its Strategy 2025 this leadership position will have a key role in enabling GOAL’s programmatic management to be data driven across the portfolio through effective operational, strategic and risk management.
Main Responsibilities & Key Areas of Work:
- Leadership and line management to the Country Directors, providing a key management link between Country Teams and GOAL’s HQ team on high level issues relating to:
- Stewardship of Country Strategies and development of a Regional Strategy, alongside improved representation for GOAL at Regional level; excellent line management of Country Directors and support for strong and stable country SMTs including through rollout of GOAL’s performance management initiative and talent management; strengthening countries’ readiness to respond to emergencies; foster a culture of innovation in coordination with GOAL’s Innovation Lab and the global technical team.
- Business Development and Partnership, including: in coordination with GOAL’s funding and business development unit, provide focused support to Country Directors in the pursuit of strategic funding opportunities and the completion of high-quality proposals; strengthened approach to partnerships in the region and demonstrable progress towards localization agenda; support GOAL’s relationship with key donor agencies at regional level.
- Governance and Communications. Support corporate systems improvement projects to ensure delivery of Country programme and ambition; support development of high value communications messages that communicate the outcomes and impact of programmes
As with all senior positions in GOAL, the role will involve Representation of GOAL in regional, national and international fora as required.
The position holder is expected to be a very strong communicator and with a proven track record in leading diverse teams in multiple locations. Expectations include:
- 7-10 years in country management roles with an international NGO.
- Post-graduate qualification or equivalent relevant experience in a relevant discipline.
- A diverse background in both humanitarian and development programmes at a senior level, strong analytical skills, and the ability to respond and adapt quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with diverse teams, local government, community leaders, partners (local and international) to work effectively to deliver agreed goals.
- Proven track record in representation and negotiations.
- Ability to manage security and safety issues in fragile and emergency contexts.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to lead, manage and inspire multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, often remotely.
- Data analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Strong understanding of the mission and values of GOAL and a deep commitment to adhering and leading the commitment to living those values.
- Commitment to regular travel is essential.
- French language skills a significant advantage
GOAL has Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.