One of the leading humanitarian actors in Northwest Syria, GOAL has supported conflict-affected people here since 2012. In 2022, 950 staff managed a programme expenditure of €101.6M - reaching more than 900,000 people every month.
Whilst GOAL's main operations are in Idleb Governate, work expanded to Aleppo Governorate (A’zaz District) in late 2018. Programmes include Emergency Response, Resilient Health, Food & Nutrition Security.
Operations are supported by senior management in Jordan, Turkey and Dublin.
What we do in Syria
Mobilising emergency response in Northern Syria
GOAL’s emergency programming is implemented through the North Syria Response Facility (NSRF) – a rapid response mechanism co-led by GOAL and Big Heart. Providing basic yet critical humanitarian assistance to conflict-affected communities in Idleb, Hama and Aleppo Governorates, the NSRF has reached more than 300,000 newly displaced persons with ready-to-eat food kits, regular food support, non-food items and emergency cash transfers since 2015.
Rehabilitating essential WASH infrastructures
GOAL’s Resilient Health programming in Syria focuses on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activities. This sees GOAL support the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of water networks in Idleb Govenornate in order to help deliver safe, potable water for conflict-affected displaced and host communities. The 64 water stations that GOAL supports provide sustainable access to clean, piped drinking water for more than 800,000 people.
Vouchers, food kits and stabilised prices for conflict affected communities
GOAL is one of the largest operators of food security programming in Northwest Syria. Our activities in this sector focus on supporting conflict-affected communities in Idleb and Aleppo Governorates via modalities of assistance that respond to the needs and capabilities on the ground as effectively as possible.
GOAL and its partners reached more than 90,000 families with food kits and food vouchers between October 2017 and June 2019, and currently deliver food aid to more than 20,000 families every month. Our programming also addresses persistent food insecurity, providing 50 percent of the flour and yeast inputs of more than 20 local bakeries in Idleb Governorate to help supply bread at almost half the market price for around 300,000 people.
GOAL's Covid-19 response in Syria
In Syria, 199,000 people have been reached with Covid-19 awareness and prevention information and distribution of hygiene kits. GOAL is also working with communities to enable the implementation of Social Behaviour Change interventions; strengthening of community referral systems; and facilitation of Community Led Action (CLA) processes. We have adapted the WASH campaign to ensure continuation of water supply to those in Northwest Syria.
- GOAL has grown to become one of the largest providers of humanitarian assistance in Northern Syria
- Reached more than 200 communities in Idleb and Northern Aleppo with monthly cash-based food security assistance by August 2021
- Added cash transfer component to food security programme from 2020 in order to help beneficiaries meet additional needs and cover emergent expenses, reaching more than 50,000 families with monthly Multi-purpose Cash Assistance between June 2020 and August 2021
- Supported four Water Units in Idleb Province to help regularly deliver clean running water to catchment population of 1M+ people serving more than 100 communities
- Increased number of bakeries supported by GOAL, to 29, enabling catchment population of 500K+ people access bread at subsidized prices every day
- Reached more than 450 families with shelter support by Aug 2021
- Implemented infrastructure support programmes in seven informal settlements in Idleb housing over 7k displaced persons to help mitigate against impacts of flooding