Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 14 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL has an annual budget of an estimated €120 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
Reporting to the Country Director, this post sits on the Senior Management Team (SMT) and will contribute to the design and delivery of staff development strategies and the management of change in support of GOAL South Sudan’s strategic and operational plans, providing information, advice and services as required. The HR Manager will work with teams across the country programme to support a process of continuous organizational and individual performance improvement to help the country office achieve its ambition of becoming a high performing and impactful one. The purpose of this job will also include:
- Ensuring that GOAL human resources policies and procedures are consistent with the South Sudan legal framework and implemented across the country programme
- Ensuring that human resources activities and priorities are aligned to the country strategic objectives.
- Promoting diversity, equity and inclusion, staff development, retention and engagement in the workplace
- Providing guidance/advice to the SMT for informed decision-making.
- To contribute to research, analysis and ideas for the development of the country office’s HR strategy and ensure it is appropriately integrated into and aligned with strategic and development goals of GOAL South Sudan.
- To support specific performance improvement initiatives through the implementation of a continuous assessment and competency framework for staff and their line managers.
- To identify opportunities for performance improvement such as undertaking internal diagnosis, process/system reviews in order to understand barriers and possible solutions; conducting external research into good practice and new ideas.
- To design and facilitate in-house events (e.g. workshops, staff retreats) as required.
- To work with line managers to ensure effective communication and consultation processes and to build staff engagement culture.
- To support line managers to conduct recruitment of staff with the required competencies, skills and experiences
- To facilitate and support an internship scheme from individuals and institutions to support the various functions
Learning & Development
- To develop the country office’s approach to talent attraction, retention, management and succession planning and to coordinate the contributions of line managers to ensure effective implementation.
- To work with line managers on the design and delivery of appropriate and relevant Personal Development Plans for their staff; to commission and evaluate agreed internally-delivered interventions and to ensure best use of the country office’s development budgets.
- To develop coaching, mentoring and secondment schemes to support staff development and the achievement of Personal Development Plans.
- To lead on the development of a staff skills and knowledge database in order to maximise the diverse talents of the country office.
Human Resources Management;
- To be responsible for the country office’s job evaluation and management (JEM) system, advising on job design, job descriptions and the correct grading of jobs.
- To oversee the annual appraisal process, monitoring compliance within the timetable and working with line managers to ensure consistency of quality in appraisal documentation.
- To manage new staff induction programmes.
- To contribute to the development of policies and procedures in collaboration with HQ.
- Be familiar with country labour laws and ensure that GOAL’s employment policies are not in conflict with the country laws.
- Support line managers in recruitment and training of staff and HR policies interpretation.
- Collect and analyse employee data and maintain accurate and complete employee records.
- Maintain all records pertaining to staff employment, monitor and report fulfilment of contractual terms and conditions.
- Analyse and ensure that GOAL International’s policies and practices are translated and implemented to fit local customs and practices in South Sudan.
- Maintain International staff annual Leave, loyalty leave and R&R travel records and advise their line managers on these as appropriate
- Contribute to regular reviews of GOAL South Sudan staff handbook ensuring that policies remain in compliance with local labour laws and recommend updates where required.
- Contribute to the budgeting of personnel and staff training cost during proposal development.
- Provide leadership to country office staff in relation to HR, ensuring compliance with GOAL’s approved global policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of HR policies and procedures in place.
- Act as focal point for all initial queries from staff regarding HR policies and procedures.
- Advise on grievance matters in accordance with GOAL policies and procedures.
- Promote healthy relationships between staff and their line managers through mediation, handling staff issues and guiding country leadership team through staff issues.
- Administer GOAL’s Human Resources Information System (including timesheets) to ensure an updated HR data for easy access.
- Administer a benefits program; analyse compensation and other competitive data as basis for preparing budgets.
- Maintain accurate personnel records for all GOAL staff in South Sudan and ensure that the payroll is being computed rightly and that salaries are paid on time.
- Monitor the HR budget; prepare information for management decision-making.
Government and External Relations
- Represent GOAL at the Ministry of Labour in pursuit of GOAL’s interests.
- Work with management and legal adviser to solve emerging HR related issues with authorities.
- Ensure that all legal requirements with regard to employment in South Sudan are reviewed, monitored and implemented.
- Mitigate risk by keeping Goal compliant with South Sudan labour laws and regulations.
Staff Evaluation and Capacity Building
- Ensure that the performance management procedure is systematized, all staff inducted on it and following it.
- As part of the organization HR team, ensure that cross-organization training and development programmes are put in place.
- Oversee the organization’s HR development priorities within GOAL South Sudan including skills audit, advising the SMT where appropriate.
- Liaise with line managers to assess training needs of staff to be able to plan and budget a training programme for staff.
- Work with line managers to identify and develop talents for succession planning
- Work with line managers to instil a healthy staff culture and behaviours as well living the organisational values
Technical Skills, Experience and Knowledge
Technical knowledge and experience
- A first degree in HR management or equivalent
- Experience in HR function, organizational design, performance management, reward management, recruitment and selection
- Able to demonstrate up to date knowledge, Learning & Development, particularly management development and talent management.
- Experience of, and commitment to, continuous organisational improvement and the ability to act as a change agent.
- Legal background an enormous advantage.
- Excellent influencing and interpersonal skills with people at all levels, internally and externally.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong coaching/mentoring skills.
- Effective planning and project management skills with the ability to set and work to (personal, team and Fund) deadlines.
- The ability to engage, conduct diagnosis, analyse findings, generate options and build commitment to solutions.
- Change management skills.
- Event design and facilitation skills.
- Numeracy and ability to analyse quantitative and qualitative data.
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm and results-focused.
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Negotiating, influencing and holding to account.
- Pragmatic and solution-oriented.
- Committed to high standards and continuous improvement.
- Ability to move between big picture and detail.
- Previous experience working in an NGO would be an added advantage
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, inclusion
- Must be a South Sudanese national
Accountability within GOAL
A commitment to GOAL values and GOAL’s integrity framework is critical to working with GOAL. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
- Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
General Terms and Conditions
- GOAL has a suite of integrity policies which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants, children, vulnerable people and staff from exploitation. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies and employee obligations.; Job offers may be subject to police clearance.
- This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
- GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.