M&E Coordinator - Syria - based in Amman
12 months contract
Closing date for application: 10/05/2021
General Description of the Programme Background
GOAL is an international humanitarian organisation has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb and Aleppo Governates, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to local water units, Nutrition, Shelter, as well as a comprehensive emergency support programme to recently displaced households. GOAL Syria programme has support offices in Turkey and Jordan.
General Description of the Role
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) department consists of approximately 75 staff based inside Syria with remote management from Antakya in Turkey and Amman in Jordan. The M&E Coordinator is responsible for leading and coordinating routine project monitoring, liaising with GOAL and donor Third-Party Monitors, ensuring the implementation of programme assessments, baselines/endlines, and evaluations, while providing strategic leadership and direction for the M&E department. The role reports directly to the Senior Programme Quality Coordinator.
The M&E Coordinator will provide strategic oversight and leadership combined with the technical expertise to ensure that GOAL’s M&E systems are implemented effectively and are agile and fit for purpose as the programme evolves. S/he will be the focal point in the programme for all aspects of M&E. A key part of the role will be capacity building and remote support to the M&E team inside Syria, as well as for GOAL’s partner organisations. Advocating for accountable programmes will be key to this role which should ensure evidence-based programming and donor compliance in a remote management context.
Job Responsibility #1: Leadership and Management
% of time: 30%
- Oversee the activities of GOAL’s M&E team in Syria, which includes GOAL-direct M&E, and partner monitoring, providing technical support and oversight.
- Provide leadership within the Programmes team overall on issues of programme quality, monitoring and evaluation.
- Support the development of job descriptions, management structures and performance management, alongside the Field M&E Coordinator based in Syria.
- Oversee the M&E budget, ensuring appropriate grant budgets are developed and spending is in line with those budgets. Ensure SPQC is flagged on any issues and spending concerns.
- Provide capacity building, technical support and training to the M&E team based in Syria as well as the Programmes teams.
Job Responsibility #2: Support to Program Quality
% of time: 40%
- Lead on development and updating of Monitoring Frameworks for the programmes, bringing together tools and outlining systems.
- Design data collection tools, design and coordinate surveys and studies to support monitoring and evaluation of GOAL programming, including beneficiary satisfaction surveys. Ensure that M&E findings are channelled back to key programme staff to allow for programme design modification and adjustments, as necessary.
- Conduct systematic data quality audit checks for GOAL and ensure tool and reporting mechanisms are reviewed and updated to meet programme needs.
- Feed into the overall programme strategy, providing data and analysis as required for strategic purposes and new programme design, including proposal development
- Work with the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor to ensure that GOAL Syria’s monitoring approaches and tools are designed to be inclusive as well as enabled to support gender analyses at various stages of the project cycle including at needs assessment phase.
- Work with GOAL Syria MIS team to design M&E data management products to support programme implementation and decision making.
- Develop or update M&E plans and ensure that routine project monitoring takes place on time.
- Coordinate, supervise and review all assessments, evaluations and research, and ensure prompt analysis and dissemination among stakeholders.
- Ensure that all grant proposals and reporting include solid M&E components and work with the Programmes teams to develop appropriate results frameworks, logframes and indicators.
- Continue to develop and improve on GOAL’s independent monitoring systems meant to ensure accountability, both to beneficiaries and to donors.
- Work with the Learning Coordinator to ensure that Lessons Learned generated from MEL activities are tracked and addressed and ensure participation of the M&E team in Porgramme Review meetings.
- Undertake additional roles requested by SPQC.
Job Responsibility #3: Partners Engagement
% of time: 10%
- Ensure standardization of M&E tools used by GOAL and Partners, including monitoring tools, SoPs and guidelines, leading on training and orientation sessions conducted to ensure harmonization of application.
- Provide capacity building, technical support, and training to GOAL’s local partners on all areas of M&E.
- Lead on the process of Data Quality Audits for GOAL Partners, and ensure documented results and recommendation are shared with Partners.
- Review GOAL Partner M&E products and provide technical feedback as needed.
Job Responsibility #4: Third-Party Monitors and Final Evaluators Engagement and Contract Management
% of time: 20%%
- Conduct the technical evaluation of tender proposals for Third-Party Monitors and Final Evaluation suppliers for GOAL programmes.
- Manage the relationship with GOAL and donor contracted external evaluators and third-party monitors, those monitoring both GOAL and Partners’ programmes, including leading on communications, acting as the main focal point, and coordinating tool and report reviews by GOAL teams.
- A primary Degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Information Management, Development Studies or relevant discipline.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience with MEAL activities for humanitarian programming.
- Strong knowledge of and demonstrated practical experience of M&E methodology (particularly appropriate quantitative and qualitative/participatory research methods), data analysis and report writing. Experience with cash-based and livelihoods programmes MEL strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with staff management; experience with distance/remote management a plus.
- Proven capacity to build the M&E skills of colleagues, partners and community members.
- Developing detailed budgeting.
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills, proven record in provision of trainings a plus
- Advanced skills with MS Office (particularly Excel).
- Ability to work under pressure, with minimum supervision.
- Excellent oral and written (English) communication skills.
- Understanding of database design, SQL, or C# desirable.
- Knowledge of statistical software packages, such as MS Access, SPSS, Stata.
- Knowledge of Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Oral and written (Arabic) communication skills a distinct advantage.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.