Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 13 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL has an annual budget of an estimated €100 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.Job Purpose
The Director of People and Organisation Development has overall responsibility for the development, implementation and monitoring of GOAL’s People and Organisation Development Strategies. The post-holder will lead a dedicated team of HR personnel to provide the necessary vision, leadership, and people management skills to ensure the organisation achieves the highest standards of operational excellence across our network of 2,500 personnel. The role reports directly to GOAL’s Chief Executive and will be a member of GOAL’s Senior Management Team, sharing collective responsibility to deliver the organisation's strategy and vision.
In this role, you will lead directly a team of 10 HR professionals and a network of HR staff in 13 different countries and be responsible for a wide range of exciting projects including working at board level and working closely with the CEO to drive the People Development Agenda.RESPONSIBILITIES HR Strategy & Planning
- As the senior HR Executive, lead in the overall People Strategy for the organisation in conjunction with the overseas and HQ senior management teams, aligned with the HR Transformation activities and goals;
- Actively contribute to SMT discussions on organisational level policy and change management strategies;
- As part of the Senior management team, provide input and feedback into all areas of organisational strategy including ensuring a staff lens is applied during strategy and policy development
- Create the appropriate organisational infrastructure of personnel and systems to efficiently deliver on the people development strategy while supporting the CEO in a transformative culture and values process;
- Work with and support the HQ Senior team to develop organisational capacities within their functions and ensure the appropriate skill sets are available now and into the future.
- Ensure high visibility, presence and active engagement of HR function across the organisation.
- Establish forward looking workforce plan including hiring, succession, and talent pipeline for pivotal roles. Design, implement and manage the delivery of HR plans to recruit, retain, reward, and motivate employees to their full potential;
- Deliver talent management strategies that are consistent with the mission, values, and strategic objectives of the organisation;
- Deliver high quality people insights through employee engagement and analytics and recommend innovative solutions that matter locally e.g. stay/exit interviews, turnover, hiring trends, employee relation patterns.
- Redesign and implement a comprehensive performance system and employee management across the organisation;
- Ensure that effective appraisal and coaching processes are in place so that the agreed action plans are implemented;
- Ensure ownership of and proactive management by Senior Management Teams at HQ and Country level of key HR related KPIs.
- Ensure GOAL’s compensation and benefits packages in all locations are designed to attract and retain high quality staff;
- Review, refine, design, and encourage the use of staff care programmes across the organisation.
- Create an environment which inspires people to do their best and is aligned to the organisation’s values;
- Ensure that the companies leadership behaviours/ values of Humanitarianism, courage, Integrity, Respect and Partnership are embedded across the organisation;
- Ensure Dignity at Work Policy and Grievance Procedure is fully operational and effective in enabling a supportive working environment for our staff;
- Lead the Risk Management process with respect to HR risk identification and mitigation activities at Organisation level, providing support to Countries as required;
- Work closely with Internal audit and investigations in respect of resolution of identified;areas of HR control weakness and incidents;
- Ensure the highest level of compliance is maintained in all aspects of employment legislation and donor requirements in countries of operation.
- Actively engage with and promote the use of technology and data to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the Global HR function;
- Lead the HR team in design and implementation of HR business process improvement projects including HRIS implementation and global rollout – providing active project;sponsorship and engagement;
- Promotion of data analytics and dashboards including KPIs to support management decisions.
- Ensure GOAL is represented at National and International forums and networks, keeping abreast of sector trends and is a key contributor to global discussions and initiatives;
- Take ownership for other key organisation-wide projects as assigned by the CEO;
- Attend Board meetings to report on and give advice on HR matters;
- Participate in organisational development, organisational strategic planning and income and expenditure budget planning and management with other members of the SMT;
- Act in accordance with the mission, visions, and values of GOAL;
- Other duties as required and directed by the CEO.
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives;
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with a metrics-driven approach to solutions and the ability to leverage analytics and insights to deliver results;
- A deep business acumen and the executional know how of building and growing businesses globally through the ongoing development and supports of its people;
- The ability to synthesize complex situations into a digestible format and provide solutions for the business leaders and their teams;
- Team oriented consensus builder who understands how to achieve buy-in from diverse constituencies, building bridges and designing win-win solutions across a matrix management organization;
- The ability to flourish in a rapidly changing organization and operate comfortably with ambiguity and complexity;
- Ability to handle ambiguity and untangle complex situations into activities that empower deliver for our colleagues and beneficiaries;
- Ability to position GOAL as an employer of choice where colleagues are provided with unique career and development opportunities.;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or equivalent experience is required with a preference for an advanced degree in Human Resources or Business Administration, or equivalent;
- Minimum track record of seven years’ experience as HR Director, preferably in the non-profit sector, with strong executive and board interface;
- Significant experience in OD/Learning, Facilitation, Executive Recruiting and Employee Relations;
- Demonstrable experience in implementation of organisational change management programmes;
- Sound knowledge and practice of Irish employment law;
- Ability to travel up to 25% if required.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably French, Spanish, or Arabic, is highly desirable;
- CIPD Qualified.
Our package includes a competitive salary, 22 days annual leave and the possibility to join our health care scheme. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Candidates must be entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.