Job Title:; ; ; Financial Controller
Country and Location: Khartoum, Sudan
Contract Duration:; ; ;12 Month
General Description of the Programme/GOAL
The GOAL Sudan country project focuses on four strategic sectors, namely: Primary Health Care; Nutrition; WASH and Food Security and Livelihoods and Livelihoods. GOAL currently have over 200 National staff, 10 internationals and provide support to over 150 MoH seconded staff. GOAL Manages and coordinates Programmes Operations through its head office in Khartoum and additional 5 Field Offices in North Darfur and South Kordofan States.
The current GOAL Sudan country programme operational areas:
- North Darfur States: in Kutum and Al waha localities with a plan to expand to Umbaro and Seref Umera.
- South Kordofan States: in Five Localities.
- Gadarif and Kassala: A preventative nutrition programming (NIPP) through national NGO partners. Programmes are at planning stage.
The Financial Controller is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, and reporting requirements of the organization. There are 11 finance staff employed within GOAL Sudan. The Financial controller has overall responsibility for the day to day accounting and financial management, partnership finance, and taxation requirements of the country programme. Additionally the financial controller has a significant risk management responsibility in what is challenging operating environment.
In particular the successful candidate will ensure timely submission of monthly reports to GOAL Dublin comprising the Management Accounts, Donor Status Reporting and other reports as required and also ensure timely submission of required donors reports, statutory reports and other ad hoc reporting to relevant authorities. As a key member of the senior management team, the Financial Controller will contribute to the overall development and running of the country programme.
Duties and responsibilities
Ensure there is a fully operating finance team, by:
- Lead on recruitment of finance staff;
- Ensure job descriptions of team members are outlined, updated and communicated;
- Oversee training and capacity building of finance staff;
- Conduct six monthly appraisals of AFC, to be filed with HR;
- Ensure adequate field cover is provided;
- Identify personnel development plans for team members and ensure follow through;
- Deal with any disciplinary or personnel issues in the team as required.
- Ensure proper financial systems are in place and implemented to record and report field and head office expenditure;
- Ensure compliance with accounting procedures and policies and actively monitor internal controls to minimize risk to the organization. In particular ensure appropriate cash management procedures are in place and operating effectively;
- Oversee all cash management, including cash counts and cash transfers to field sites and from Dublin head office and coordination with local banks on currency contracts;
- Ensure cost allocations basis among donors are reasonable;
- Review GOAL annual and quarterly rolling budgets;
- Review monthly management accounts including donor status reporting for submission to GOAL Head Office, Dublin, adhering to strict deadlines;
- Maintain and keep updated Sudan Finance Manual, including a summarized and simplified finance manual for use by project managers and other field based staff;
- Keeping abreast of taxation requirements and changes in taxation law;
- Through management of the AFC, ensure:
- Management of the day-to-day financial reporting to facilitate on-time reporting to Donors and Dublin HQ;
- Monthly Sage Accounts Process is completed accurately and timely;
- Monthly payroll process is completed accurately and timely;
- The Field Office Finance Teams are supported by the Kampala Finance Team;
- The Field Office Finance make their submissions on time.
- FC has overall responsibility for the Grants Management team including line management of the Grants Manager. This can be achieved through delegation to the AFC.
- Provide Technical Support on Donor budgets, Donor reporting, Guidelines & Regulations to GOAL Sudan Management Team;
- Monitor and assist with the financial management and setting of programme budgets including expenditure forecasting;
- Review financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to strict deadlines;
- Review the financial sections of donor proposals, budgets and reports.
- Facilitate timely completion of the Annual Statutory Audit and Financial Statements;
- Facilitate timely completion of Specific Project Audits;
- Ensure preparation and retention of documentation to facilitate the annual external audit, donor audits, internal audits and revenue audits.
- Member of SMT;
- In cooperation with the Programmes & Logistics team ensure that GOAL Sudan is in compliance with all relevant donor and internal guidelines;
- Provide support to the HR Manager on personnel and staff issues which have financial implications.
Key Performance Objectives
- All donors’ financial reports are submitted on time;
- Month end finance reports are submitted to HQ on time;
- Budget Monitoring Tools/BMT/Budget Vs Expenditure reports are accurately recoded and shared with the team on time and feedbacks from the team sought and incorporated.
- Internal and external Audits are done and completed properly and as per schedule.
- Finance team in Khartoum and in the field are trained, coached and managed to enhance performance.
Behaviours (Values in practice)
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
- Lead the team by example with high integrity.
- Appreciate diverse opinions and culture.
- Commitment to share learnings; constructive feedback; train/coach fellow colleagues,
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Qualified accountant. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent
- Over years of directly relevant experience – of which at least 2 years as Head of finance department or as Financial controller;
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors such as USAID/OFDA, ECHO, UN, DFID etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills
- Working knowledge of Sage;
- Experience of working within an NGO;
- Self-motivated, organised and innovative
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.