General Description of the Programme/GOAL
GOAL has been operating in South Sudan for over three decades and has had a formal presence in Juba since the late 1990s. GOAL South Sudan program focuses on emergencies, health and food security & nutrition. Historically GOAL South Sudan has focused its interventions around greater Warrap and Upper Nile areas. The current size of the programme is around €10m programme and is looking to expand into new locations as well as broaden its donor base.
The Financial Controller (FC) is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, management of funds, and reporting requirements of the GOAL Country Office. The FC ensures timely submission of donor reports, monthly management accounts reporting to GOAL HQ Dublin, statutory reports and other ad hoc reporting to relevant authorities, as well as preparation and monitoring of project, programme and Country Office budgets. In addition, the FC is expected to proactively invest in capacity building of the country office finance team. As a key member of the senior management team, the Financial Controller holds a leadership position that contributes to the overall development and running of the country programme.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare monthly management accounts for approval by Country Director for submission to GOAL HQ adhering to reporting deadlines as set by the Global Finance Director.
- Ensure proper financial systems, in the office and in the field offices (both GOAL’s and its partners) are in place and implemented to accurately record all financial transactions.
- Liaise with Assistant Country Director – Systems (ACD-S), legal advisers in in-country and HQ, as well as with local accountants & auditors relating to GOAL in-country reporting and tax payments.
- Ensure compliance with GOAL's standard accounting procedures and policies across the country programmeand actively monitor internal controls to minimise risk to the organisation. Including but not limited to appropriate cash management procedures.
- Ensure preparation and retention of documentation to facilitate audits including annual external audit, donor audits, internal audits and revenue audits.
- Review monthly and quarterly donor status reports for submission to GOAL Head Office, Dublin, adhering to deadlines.
- Oversee all cash management, including cash counts and cash transfers to field sites and partners in cooperation with Programmes& Logistics teams to ensure that the Country Office is compliant with donor and internal guidelines.
- Maintain and keep updated Country Office Finance Manual with any approved exceptions to the standard GOAL worldwide Finance Manual, including a summarised and simplified finance and logistics manual for use by project managers and other field based staff.
- Ensure cost allocations basis among donors are reasonable and in line with GOAL recommended methods.
- Review financial and compliance reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to deadlines, coordinating with local legal and accounting advisors as appropriate.
- Oversee preparation and review the financial sections of donor proposals, budgets and reports.
- Review GOAL annual and quarterly rolling budgets.
- Monitor and assist program/project managers with the financial management ofprogrammebudgets including expenditure forecasting and ensuring the Budget Monitoring Tool (BMT) is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Improving financial capacity
- Manage/supervise and work closely with local financial, administrative and partner staff.
- Assess need and develop capacity building programs for GOAL partners and GOAL staff.
- Review financial components of MOUs and contracts for suppliers and vendors.
- Ensure local compliance with the employee tax regulations, that all relevant statutory deductions are made from the employees’ salaries and paid out to the appropriate authorities, coordinating with local legal, accounting and human resource advisors as appropriate.
- Provide support to human resources on personnel and staff issues which have financial implications.
People Management and SMT membership
- Report directly to Country Director in country, maintaining oversight of the GOAL Country Office finances. Work closely with the Finance Director in Dublin and other SMT members in country to provide guidance and oversight of the finance function.
- Provide leadership, direction and capacity building support for the in-country Finance Team.
- Providing training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding GOAL’s financial procedures and internal controls, and programme management tools.
- Ensuring GOALs values and policies, including accountability and equality, are reflected in the work of the Finance Team.
Key Performance Objectives
KPO 1 - Financial management. Management of GOAL South Sudan finances and financial systems is undertaken in accordance with policies, procedures, guidelines, reporting requirements.
KPO 2- Donor finance. Financial management of donor funds has allowed those funds to have been used to maximise the impact of GOAL programming while adhering to donor regulations and compliance requirements.
KPO 3 - Improved financial Country Office capacity. A demonstrable improvement in Country Office and partner capacity in financial management.
KPO 4 – Leadership. Finance Controller known for department and organisational-wide leadership through strong representation in SMT and broader office including in the field.
Behaviours (Values in practice)
- Commitment to Humanitarian Principles and practices
- Preparedness to stand with vulnerable communities by understanding and responding appropriately to their needs
- High level of integrity acted out through honest and open dealings and relationships
- Highest levels of respect shown towards all of our partners including community, government stakeholders, donors and staff in a way that encourages dialogue and understanding.
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Qualified accountant.ACA,ACCA,CIMA, CPA or equivalent.
- At least seven years’ experience, with substantial experience (4+ years) working in a humanitarian context.
- Experience dealing with institutional donors such asDFID, USAID, EU, UN, development banks, private foundations. Familiarity with donor rules, regulations and compliance (Particularly EU, USAID).
- Experience working closely and cooperatively with remote headquarters based staff.
- Strong IT skills and systems experience – Advanced Excel experience and SAGE experience (desirable)
- Demonstrable experience liaising with governmental/local authorities and other NGOs.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills (English).
- At least three year’s team management experience with excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills.
- Senior Management Team experience
- Be culturally sensitive and empathic to others, with a ‘can do’ attitude.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.