Contract Duration:12 months
Reporting to:Country Director
General Description of the Programme
GOAL has worked in Haiti since 2010 and currently implements activities in Port au Prince and the Southern region from its head office in Port au Prince and is due to open a regional office in Jeremie. The GOAL Haiti programme contributes to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of integrated programmes in humanitarian leadership, sustainable urban development, water, sanitation & hygiene, economic development interventions and resilience. GOAL places a strong focus on accountability, transparency and value for money.
Overview of the role
The Financial Controller is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, management of funds, and reporting requirements of the organisation. In particular the successful candidate will ensure timely submission of required donors reports, monthly management accounts to GOAL Dublin, statutory reports and other ad hoc reporting to relevant authorities, as well as budget preparation and monitoring of the programme. As a key member of the senior management team, the Financial Controller will contribute to the overall development and running of the country programme.
People Management and SMT membership
- Report directly to Country Director in country, maintaining oversight of the GOAL Haiti finances. Work closely with the Finance Director in Dublin and other SMT members in country to provide guidance and oversight of the finance function as well as coordination with GOAL Honduras and other activities within the LAC region.
- Providing leadership, direction and capacity building support for the in-country Finance Team.
- Providing training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding GOAL’s financial procedures and internal controls, and programme management tools.
- Ensuring GOALs values and policies, including accountability and equality, are reflected in the work of the Finance Team.
- Prepare monthly management accounts for approval by Country Director for submission to Dublin adhering to the strict reporting deadlines as set by the Global Finance Director.
- Ensure proper financial systems, in Port au Prince head office and in the field offices (both GOAL’s and its partners) are in place and implemented to accurately record all expenditure.
- Liaise with legal advisers in Haiti and HQ, as well as with local accountants & auditors relating to GOAL Haiti´s reporting and tax payments.
- Ensure compliance with GOAL's standard accounting procedures and policies across the Haiti programmeand actively monitor internal controls to minimise risk to the organisation. In particular ensure appropriate cash management procedures are in place and operating effectively.
- Ensure preparation and retention of documentation to facilitate the annual external audit, donor audits, internal audits and revenue audits.
- Review monthly and quarterly donor status reporting for submission to GOAL Head Office, Dublin, adhering to strict deadlines.
- Oversee all cash management, including cash counts and cash transfers to field sites and partners in cooperation with theProgrammes& Logistics team ensure that GOAL Haiti is in compliance with all relevant donor and internal guidelines.
- Maintain and keep updated Haiti Finance Manual with any approved exceptions to the standard GOAL worldwide Finance Manual, including a summarised and simplified finance and logistics manual for use by project managers and other field based staff.
- Ensure cost allocations basis among donors are reasonable in line with GOAL recommended methods.
- Review financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to strict deadlines, coordinating with local legal and accounting advisors as appropriate.
- Review the financial sections of donor proposals, budgets and reports.
- Review GOAL annual and quarterly rolling budgets.
- Monitor and assist program managers with the financial management ofprogrammebudgets including expenditure forecasting, and ensuring the Budget Monitoring Tool (BMT) is completed in a timely manner.
Improving financial capacity
- Manage/supervise and work closely with local financial, administrative and partner staff.
- Managing and building capacity on financial systems for GOAL partners and GOAL Haiti staff.
- Reviewing MOUs and contracts for suppliers and vendors engaged with the programme.
- Responsibility for ensuring local compliance with the employee tax deductions, that all relevant statutory deductions are made from the employees’ salaries and paid out to the appropriate authorities, coordinating with local legal, accounting and human resource advisors as appropriate.
- Provide support to human resources on personnel and staff issues which have financial implications.
Any other duties as mutually agreed with the Country Director, LAC Regional Director and the GOAL Global Finance Director.
- Qualified accountant.ACA,ACCA,CIMA, CPA or equivalent.
- At least five years’ experience, with at least one of these overseas.
- At least one year’s team management experience.
- Willingness and ability to work in a pressurised environment, producing work of high quality to strict deadlines.
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors such asDFID, USAID, EU, UN, development banks, private foundations. Familiarity with donor rules and regulations (Particularly EU, USAID).
- Flexible and reliable, with excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills (English and French).
- Strong IT skills and systems experience – Advanced Excel experience and SAGE experience is highly desirable.
- Strong experience liaising with governmental/local authorities and other NGOs.
- Be culturally sensitive and empathic to others, with a ‘can do’ attitude.
Our package includes a competitive salary, shared accommodation, health and travel insurance and 20 days annual leave. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Salary range for this role is €39,000 to €45,000.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.