The COVID-19 pandemic affects each and every one of us.
COVID-19 continues to spread rapidly around the world, with cases in GOAL's program countries increasing by the day. In fragile contexts like Syria and South Sudan, already weak and limited healthcare systems, where they exist, will soon be overwhelmed. The impact on the vulnerable communities we work with will likely be devastating - but GOAL is responding.
Impact on GOAL's Programme Countries
Cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in 11 of our 13 countries of operation, including Niger and Syria, two countries already rocked by conflict. Schools have been closed in Ethiopia and all public events have been banned in expectation of a wave of cases. There are more than 540 cases confirmed in Iraq and six cases have been confirmed in Sudan.
The stark reality is that the number of cases is likely to already be much higher, but limited access to testing and diagnosis means they have not yet been identified. A surge in cases, as seen in Europe, is now inevitable.
GOAL has been rapidly pivoting to identify how our existing life-saving humanitarian programmes may be affected, and how we can immediately respond to and mitigate the impacts of COVID-19.
We are also rolling out integrating hygiene education and practises into our projects to reduce the risk of the virus spreading amongst poor and vulnerable communities already facing crisis.
In the coming days and weeks your support will be needed more than ever as the virus hits across Africa, the Middle East and Latin America.
Time is of the Essence
Rapid and well coordinated action is now needed at local, national and global levels to protect the lives of the families and communities we work with.
As the pandemic spikes in the coming weeks and months, it will become much more difficult to reach the affected areas and communities and critically needed supplies will become more difficult to secure.
We are responding quickly to help prepare the most vulnerable people for the spread of the virus. But funding is critically needed to save lives, and GOAL is relying on the generous support of the public to help us in this time of need. A donation to GOAL today will have an immediate impact.
How is GOAL Responding?
Our COVID-19 response draws on GOAL’s extensive experience of emergency health work and infectious disease preparedness and response around the world.
GOAL’s capacity to scale up in the event of a major humanitarian health crisis is built upon the large responses we delivered in response to Ebola in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia during the West African outbreak. This included the prevention and control of infection, the set-up and management of Ebola Treatment Units and community engagement responses to improve hygiene and health practices.
Our strategy – building on existing programming, and strong local and national relationships and our global team of 2,500 GOALies – includes:
- Integrating and increasing key hygiene practices for Coronavirus in our existing humanitarian programmes. We promote hygiene practices already in all our humanitarian programmes, but we will have a special focus on Coronvirus.
- Providing clean water and promoting safe hygiene and sanitation practices and infrastructure – including access to water supplies, storage containers and handwashing stations to ensure that households can practise appropriate hygiene behaviours.
- Undertaking social and behavioural change education programmes to increase awareness and understanding of the causes and effects of the virus in communities.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to undertake infection, prevention and control within health facilities.
- Providing food and other necessities for those affected by the impact of the virus.
- Supporting GOAL’s humanitarian programmes as we respond to the inevitable disruption and danger caused by Covid-19.
What Can You Do To Help?
You can support the global response to COVID-19 in a number of ways:
- Practising safe and good hygiene in your own daily routines as well as practising social distancing.
- Sharing information and guidance from trusted and reliable sources, like the World Health Organisation.
- Click below to make a donation to GOAL today to support the global fight against COVID-19.
GOAL Global Snapshot
Number of Cases Worldwide
GOAL Beneficiaries Globally
GOAL Operational Countries
COVID-19 Deaths To Date
How you can help the fight against COVID-19
Help us raise funds
Run an online fundraiser, donate your birthday on through social media or create your own fundraiser!
Make A Donation
A donation today will have an immediate impact, saving lives in the fight against Coronavirus.
Stay up to date
Find out the latest on GOAL's response and how you can be a part of the global fight against COVID-19.
Leave a legacy
Leaving a gift in your will is a impactful way to to leave a lasting impact and make the world a better place.