Apply for this positionApply Now
GOAL is an international humanitarian agency dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poor and the vulnerable across the globe. Today, GOAL is operating in 14 countries with a dedicated team of over 3,000 dedicated personnel. GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programs, ranging from humanitarian response to supporting the development of healthcare services and building sustainable livelihoods. Since its foundation in Ireland in 1977, GOAL has allocated more than $910 million to programmes in over 60 countries.
GOAL has an annual budget of approximately a $180 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Irish Government, UK Government, USAID, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. Informed by its proven track record over the last 45 years, GOAL remains committed to its core mission, responding to humanitarian crises and tackling extreme poverty around the world. The largest donor to GOAL is USAID supporting both humanitarian and development assistance presently multiple contexts.
The GOAL network includes 14 international program operations, International HQ in Dublin, Ireland, UK Subsidiary, GOAL UK and its US affiliate GOAL USA. GOAL is recruiting a Vice President to lead the growth of the GOAL network in the Americas.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with the energy, appetite and ambition to drive growth in a dynamic fast paced humanitarian organisation.
The Vice President will be primarily responsible for developing and leading GOAL’s funding and partnership development strategy. GOAL has an ambitious growth strategy that seeks to develop existing and build more strategic partnerships with bilateral and multilateral donor agencies within the US market to leverage greater impact.
GOAL is looking for a passionate individual with a proven track record in leading and developing growth with an INGO, with a particular focus on the development of partnerships with USAID, and with trusts, foundations and corporations.
This is wonderful opportunity for a proven business development leader with strong communication skills with a proven track record building long term, partnerships with the US Government to be part of a global organisation with a deep rich culture, founded in Irish roots with a global mission to effective lasting change in our world.
As part of our new global strategy, titled ‘From Crisis to Resilience’ , the successful candidate will play a key role in driving a global business development strategy.
- Represent GOAL to donors, other International actors and stakeholders in North America; lead on development of relationships with partners.
- Develop and oversee a comprehensive engagement strategy with USAID, GAC (Canada) and other North American partners developing strong relationships with institutional donors in the Americas
- Support the development of GOALs organizational business case or pitch to partners in the Americas. This will be aligned with GOAL’s global strategy and UN Sustainable Development Goals and will impact the organization on a global level.
- Engage with US-based UN agencies (UNOCHA, UNICEF, UN Women, etc.) as and when required.
- Cultivate new and innovative partnerships including the development of shared value partnerships for GOAL globally with private sector enterprises in North America.
- Manage key relationships with US Donors.
- Support the identification of, and analysis of new business opportunities along with development of win strategies. This includes advising our Country Leadership Teams on upcoming funding opportunities, leading prepositioning efforts and supporting proposal development processes where appropriate.
- Provide oversight and coordination of GOAL’s donor contacts and portfolio in North America.
- Oversee relationships with US Trusts and Foundations, including regular communication, development of concept notes and proposals.
- Develop excellent relationships internally with colleagues global operations to understand program ambition, budgets, resource requirements and areas of activity to enable strategic applications for funding.
- Contribute to advisory services across the organisation on USAID acquisition contracts, including guidance on risks, mitigation measures, construction of fee rates, along with adapting our systems and processes to be able to successfully apply and manage commercial contracts.
Program & Budget Management Oversight
- Develop and maintain specialised knowledge and information on GOAL programs and projects.
- Provide oversight on any grants funded through GOAL USA.
- Monitor financial performance of projects, implemented through GOAL USA , including regular donor reporting, budget management, and liaison with program partners and HQ, as and when required.
- Engage with partners for ongoing programs, including involvement within workshops, conferences, and meetings, as and when necessary.
- Represent and market the global mission of GOAL to multiple audiences.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in business development in the INGO sector.
- Excellent communication, networking and influencing skills – both written and verbal.
- A proven track record implementing resource mobilisation strategies.
- Good experience of project and budget management
- Deep knowledge and understanding of USAID funding mechanisms and priorities.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of US Trust and Foundations funding mechanisms and priorities.
- Knowledge and understanding of GAC (Canada) funding mechanisms and priorities.
- Ability to represent GOAL with donors, other INGOs, commercial entities and other external institutions.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people, often on a remote basis.
- Ability to manage a diverse work load, work under own initiative and remain flexible to changing priorities.
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to think strategically.
- Educated to Masters level
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice, to GOAL’s operational locations and elsewhere.
- Experience working with a commercial contractor or NGO implementing USAID commercial contracts
- French or Spanish language skills
- Extensive overseas management experience within humanitarian and development contexts
- Experience overseeing the implementation of high value, multi-country and strategic programs
- Financial reporting and advanced budgeting skills
- Pro-active, disruptive, creative and innovative approach.
All interested applicants should be eligible to work in the US.