Apply for this positionApply Now
General Description of the Programme/GOAL
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 3,000 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 14 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL has an annual budget of an estimated €120 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
We are looking for a Financial Coordinator to fulfil a 6 Month contract. The role can be based in Jordan or work remotely.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate day-to-day financial operations of field offices in close collaboration with Field Finance teams as requested by the Finance Director (FD)
- Provide a financial review, as per authority, of expenditures, commitments and contracts to ensure appropriate coding and budgetary and policy compliance.
- Review, propose and implement in participatory manner, a tracking processes/systems to ensure timely follow-up and processing of the payment requests from program and operations to comply with matching principal and accurate representation of books
- Prepare and supervise any Financial Year end and grant end accruals as per the policy
- Follow up on 60 days grant close out meeting as per the GOAL Policy
- Oversee the maintenance of accounting system and ensure accurate and timely data entry and accounting processing.
- Review General ledger transactions on weekly basis to ensure correct account coding
- As requested by FD, coordinate and/or support monthly standard accounting submission to HQ, including general ledger files, accounts reconciliations and other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support month end and year end close out process including balance sheet and assets reconciliation and archiving of financial files.
- Support FD in developing monthly Management Tool as well as other tools and trackers requested by the FD.
- Analyse monthly spending and alert Finance Director and programme Coordinators on any significant variances.
- Based on the Budget Monitoring Tools (BMTs), prepare and update projections, in close coordination with program team.
- Attend and assist in monthly BMT meetings to discuss spending patterns with program team and help prepare mitigation plans.
- Support Grants and compliance unit in developing master budget as well as developing and implementing grant budgeting and forecasting systems/tools/templates.
- Lead the development and periodical updates of Cost Allocation tools
- Lead the preparation of staff and operational cost coverage analysis on regular basis
- Assist Finance Managers in budgeting unit in developing/revising financial proposals; work closely with Program Coordinators for budgeting the program activities, staffing and any other operational cost.
- Support Sub-awards and compliance in the oversight and financial management of partners and provide day-to-day supervision to the sub-awards and compliance officer.
- Review, Analyse and prepare recommendations on GOAL’s financial segregation of duties and internal controls
- Assist internal and external auditing process as appropriate.
- Assist/lead/support teams during Donor Spot Check visits
- Provide capacity building mentoring and/or training to Finance and program teams as and when required.
- Ensure full compliance with the GOAL’s health and safety policy and all locally agreed safe methods of work.
- As this job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are assigned by the Finance Director that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance field required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5 years of progressive financial management experience, including supervisory experience required. Remote management is an advantage, as is management experience of complex, multi-dimensional programming including administering small grants in an international environment;
- At least 2 years’ international experience required; international NGO field office experience is preferred.
- At least 3 years’ experience in grants management as well as an understanding of FFP, ECHO DFID and OFDA regulations required.
- Proven success managing the administration and compliance of US and EU donors in grants management, financial management and reporting, audit process, and rules and regulations required;
- Proven experience managing complex teams in difficult environments;
- Proven competency working collaboratively across departments to build commitment and support.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic or Turkish is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.