General Description of the Programme
GOAL believes in a world where poverty no longer exists, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities.
GOAL is an international humanitarian agency established in 1977 and currently operational in 12 countries world-wide. GOAL has an annual budget of approximately EUR130 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Irish Government, UK Government, USAID and the European Union.
Overview of the role
The Emergency Response Logistics & Procurement Coordinator should be a confident and experienced Logistician, ready to deploy to any situation at short notice. GOAL prides itself on being a first responder with an agile mindset and is often one of the few NGOs programming in the hardest to reach areas. GOAL emergency response staff should be ready to rough it when needed but also be able to discuss areas of policy and strategy with senior management staff, providing operational support to programmes and colleagues alike and ensuring that GOAL delivers for our beneficiaries wherever and whenever needed. The post holder is expected to travel to GOAL country programmes up to 80% of their working time.
- Ensure proper setup of supply chain and operational support, covering all aspects of Logistics & Procurement:
- Procurement must follow GOAL and/or donor guidelines
- Warehouses must be secure, with stock properly accounted for
- Assets must be properly recorded and tracked
- Fleet must be safe, properly used and fully reported on
- Distributions must be properly planned and resourced, with supplies delivered on time every time
- Consider risk management in all aspects of the supply chain and operation, putting mitigations in place and raising risk awareness to stakeholders
- Security issues must be considered at all stages of planning and implementation
- Work closely with logistics & non-logistics staff, including training, to ensure proper understanding of logistics challenges and requirements
- Coordinate with HQ, programme teams and management to ensure logistics input to planning and reporting
- Hire and manage logistics staff in the field
- Ensure proper coordination with the Logistics Cluster
- Conduct capacity building of staff in line with key messaging agreed with HQ
- Ensure positive engagement with key stakeholders in each deployment
- Use each deployment to advocate for logistics & procurement
- Ensure all advice and recommendations are followed by clear action plans for systems improvements
- Working with teams on:
- Understanding key concepts
- Service mindset & engaging stakeholders in a positive manner
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Energetic, and creative, with a questioning mindset
- Solution orientated
- 3-5 years minimum field experience, at least 2 of which in emergency response (of any type)
- Self-motivated on deployment and during downtime
- Clear communicator, diplomatic and good at interpersonal relations
- Expected to travel minimum 80% of time
- Service mindset
- Experience working with private sector as response partners or under a CSR banner
- Knowledge of CVA, especially in emergency contexts
- Strong motivational/staff management skills
- Experience with presenting to senior staff
- Good IT skills
- At least one UN official language to a working competency
- Logistics and/or Procurement qualification
Candidates should note that work is primarily performed in an office setting. However, during deployments work may additionally involve special safety and/or security precautions, exposure to demanding environments, extreme weather conditions and very basic living conditions.
The post holder may be required to perform physical activity including lifting heavy loads, long periods of standing or walking (often over rough terrain). They may be required to sleep in tented accommodation, work in makeshift offices without standard office equipment and with sometimes limited access to basic life support needs.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy;ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.;Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.