Grants Manager - Amman, Jordan
General Description of the Programme
GOAL is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable. GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 14 countries world-wide. GOAL began operations within Northern Syria in 2012 responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities with a support structure based in Turkey and Jordan. Within Northern Syria, GOAL’s operations are primarily focused on Idleb and Northern Aleppo Governorates.;
The programme focuses on food security, WASH, shelter, livelihoods and emergency response with a growing emphasis on cash and voucher modalities. GOAL Syria implements its programmes directly, with over 500 staff based in Syria, as well as through Syrian NGO partners. GOAL’s programme works at the household, community, and camp levels to improve community resilience and household’s coping strategies.
The Grants Manager is responsible for:
- The effective coordination of all grant reporting,
- Supporting the Grants Coordinator and Programme Coordinators in proposal development and design,
- Organizing and facilitating grants management meetings, and
- Information Management.
This position is based in Amman, but periodic travel to Turkey is expected once safe travel can resume.
Duties and responsibilities
Grant Report Management
- Manage donor reporting processes through the coordination and drafting of high-quality donor reports (monthly, quarterly, interim, annual and final) for the GOAL Syria grant portfolio, ensuring compliance with GOAL and donor requirements and timely submission to donors. Provide guidance and direction to the Grants Officer as they support on report development processes.
- Systemize the development of donor reports through the creation and/or maintenance of reporting tools, templates, guidance and standard procedures. Support colleagues from various departments to meet reporting requirements and quality standards.
- Keep the relevant staff informed about upcoming deadlines and deliverables, thereby ensuring smooth completion of work responsibilities.
- Support the Grants Coordinator to develop grants overviews documents outlining the programmatic objectives, activities, indicators and targets as well as key information and developments that pertain to finance, logistics, procurement, HR, MEAL support functions.
- Provide regular updates on the status of all grants under their remit.
New Business development
- Working closely with the Grants Coordinator, support the development of concepts and proposals which fit within GOAL Syria’s strategic objectives, secure input from various departments and contribute to new programme development.
- Support the Grants Coordinator in funding strategy development and implementation.
- Review GOAL Syria’s partners’ proposals and budgets when requested, providing constructive feedback.
- Research, track and disseminate new funding opportunities in line with funding strategy.
Grant Information Management
- Strengthen and assure an up to date grant document management system online. Continually seek ways to make it more user friendly. Provide guidance to the Grants officer and colleagues in HQ, to ensure comprehensive grant files are maintained up to date and are available for use.
- Distribute and share with relevant staff copies of all grant documentation (grant proposals, reports, budget etc.) in a timely manner.
- Respond to ad-hoc requests from GOAL Syria team, GOAL HQ, donors, and other stakeholders for information on the GOAL Syria programme. ;
- Attend relevant coordination or donor meetings representing GOAL and providing updates and flagging key issues of concern as requested.
- Support the Grants coordinator in grant-related inductions for existing and new GOAL staff.
- Support the Grants Coordinator in further systematising the work of the department e.g. creation and/or maintenance of standard tools and operating procedures etc. Other duties as assigned by the line manager
- Communication: Skilled communicator and ability to work effectively across multiple cultures, including remotely.
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, and to continually reprioritise tasks as a result of new information.
- Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative.
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Bachelor’s degree in subject relevant to position (e.g. social science, development studies, information management, project management, etc.);
- At least three years working in the NGO, Humanitarian or similar sector;
- Experience in quality report and proposal writing; excellent writing and editorial skills;
- Fluency in English, including strong English writing skills;
- Demonstrable experience of reviewing and editing written communications and documents;
- Ability to analyse information and present it in a donor appropriate manner;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact well with people;
- Good computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook, etc.);
- Proactive, independent, flexible and solutions-focussed;
- Enthusiastic, committed and keen to work hard to achieve the objectives of the programme.
- Experience of working in Syria/for Syria related programmes preferred;
- A solid understanding of all stages of programme cycle management;
- Experience working in an emergency or development context is highly desirable;
- Experience managing staff is an advantage;
- Knowledge of donor mechanisms such as USAID, DFID, ECHO, OCHA, IOM with knowledge of donor compliance advantageous;
- Arabic is an advantage.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.