Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 14 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL has an annual budget of an estimated €120 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
The primary function of this role is to support the GOAL USA office as well as GOAL’s overseas field offices in the LAC region on all financial matters. This includes providing direct support and guidance to the finance teams in several countries where GOAL is running humanitarian or development programmes, which will primarily be around the control of the quality of field financial submissions in relation to month end, internal reporting, external reporting, budgeting and other items. You will also be a key player in ensuring compliance with donor regulation.
Key duties/ responsibilities
GOAL USA Finance Management
- Assist in the financial management of the GOAL USA office. This may involve assistance on the preparation of the monthly accounts, budgeting, financial and reporting, liaison with auditors and ensuring the implementation of GOAL’s Internal Controls. This will be in coordination with the GOAL Ireland.
LAC region Support
- Manage the month end review process for assigned countries in line with relevant deadlines.
- Review and analyse budgets, adhering to donor rules and regulations in line with relevant deadlines
- Review and analyse financial reports, adhering to donor rules and regulations in line with relevant deadlines
- Review and process funds requests submitted monthly by each country in line with the relevant deadlines
- Ensure that all funds requests for donors are produced, checked and submitted in line with the relevant deadlines
- Acquire and share knowledge of each of the major donor’s individual guidelines and templates as well as other best practice with colleagues as appropriate
- Assist with completion of annual audit and donor audits
- Work closely with and provide relevant financial information to other GOAL HQ staff as and when required
- Provide and liaise with management on country updates as and when required
- Perform other relevant tasks as might be assigned by manager. This may include direct assistance to country programmes and production of any of the outputs described above such as donor budgets, donor reports and management accounting reports.
- Cover leave for other finance team members
- Projects and ad hoc tasks as required
Qualifications and Attributes
- A relevant finance or partial finance qualification
- Experience of working in a busy finance department
- Has successfully managed a range of different projects and work activities at the same time
- Flexible and willing to adapt, positively contributing to the implementation of change
- Proactively identifies areas for improvement and develops practical suggestions for their implementation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and either Spanish or French, ideally both
- Must be willing to work on Central Standard Time.;
- Overseas experience working in a finance or related role
- Experience of working in a finance role in an NGO
- Experience of working with donors including but not limited to USAID, Irish Aid, FCDO or ECHO
- Experience of working remotely
- Willing to travel to GOAL countries if required for up to 50% of the time
Analysis & Decision Making
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for the delivery of agreed objectives
- Quickly gets up to speed in a complex situation, rapidly absorbing all relevant information/data (written and oral)
- Puts forward solutions to address problems
Delivery of Results
- Assumes personal responsibility for and delivers on agreed objectives/ goals
- Manages and progresses multiple projects and work activities successfully
- Accurately estimates time parameters for projects and manages own time efficiently, anticipating obstacles and making contingencies for overcoming these
- Maintains a strong focus on meeting the needs of assigned tasks at all times
;Interpersonal & Communication Skills;;
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for new developments/changing work practices and strives to implement these changes effectively
- Practices and promotes a strong focus on delivering high quality support, both internally and externally
- Encourages open and constructive discussions around work issues
- Treats others with diplomacy, tact, courtesy and respect, even in challenging circumstances
- Presents information in a clear and concise manner
- Collaborates and supports colleagues to achieve organisational goals
;Commitment to GOAL Values
- Strives to perform at a high level, investing significant energy to achieve agreed objectives
- Ensures that our GOAL countries and country teams are at the heart of all services provided
- Upholds high standards of honesty, ethics and integrity
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.