Based in Amman, Jordan (preferred option) or in Dublin Office the Assistant Financial Controller – Donor will support the Financial Controller (FC) in managing GOAL Syria’s Finance Department with specific focus on donor grant management cycle activities and compliance with donor and other regulatory requirements. They will work alongside the Assistant Financial Controller – Operations and the Assistant Financial Controller – Syria Operations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate the preparation of Donor proposal budgets with Program Managers ready for FC approval and GOAL Syria SMT sign off
- Co-ordinate and consolidate the preparation and management the overall core cost and equipment budgets for GOAL Syria
- Set up new donor grants on SAGE including, the upload of nominal codes, donor budgets and DSR set up.
- Coordinate with the Grants & Communication Coordinator to ensure donor files are complete and well maintained in accordance with GOAL Dublin and donor requirements
- Liaise with programme staff to provide accurate expenditure forecasting and budget monitoring (BMTs); facilitate the review process and update forecasts in SAGE.
- Prepare corecost and payroll forecasts to be included in BMT.
- Coordinating the monthly BMT meetings with SMT and budget holders.
- Provide accurate cash flow forecasts for each grant.;
- Maintain and update GOAL Syria forms templates for all grants
- Produce and upload to SAGE GOAL DSR (Donor Status Report) templates for all projects
- Ensure timely preparation of donor reporting for review by the Financial Controller prior to submission to donors.
- Provide support to GOAL Turkey grant management including preparation of donor reports, setting up BMTs and training GOAL Turkey staff in grant management, monitoring and forecasts.
- Review and update cost apportionment basis to Donors and ensure supporting documentation is reasonable and appropriately filed in the audit control file.
Donor Compliance & Audit
- Conduct periodic compliance checks of finance, HR, logistics, programme and partner documentation required for donor audits.
- Review timesheets to ensure compliance with donor requirements and reconciliation to monthly accounts
- Preparation of documentation to facilitate in donor audits, and internal audits
- Provide finance training and capacity building to finance and budget holders in relation to budgeting and budget monitoring
- Manage Finance officer - budgeting
- Provide support and cover as required for Assistant Finance controller-Operations and Assistant Finance Controller – Partnerships
- Assist in the financial month end process includind preparation on posting of journals, preparation of monthly grant allocations for both corecost and payroll, and up dates to support schedules.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Financial Controller or the Country Director.
Key Performance Objectives
- Month end – Preparing allocations for core costs and staffing, Checking of cashbook imports to avoid mis-posting. Preparing correction journals for grants and checking of NICRA journal. BMT for grants and Core costs. Preparation and follow up monthly.
- Donor Budgeting and Reporting – Preparing Budgets for new proposals, producing Donor reports. Reporting to Donors in line with HQ and Donor deadlines. Produce reports for Monthly verifications with Deloitte on FFP and DFID grants. Liaise with AFC (partners) to ensure timely submission and posting of partner spend.
- Management – Line manage Finance officer (Donors). Arranging cover when on leave.
- SAGE – Set up new Donor grants in SAGE. Produce chart of accounts for each new grant. Set up budgets and DSRs. Update for any changes
Behaviours (Values in practice)
Highlight the behaviours that will be required to achieve a high performance in the role.
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
- Be a strong team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Accounting degree or equivalent
- 3 years experience working in the not-for-profit sector
- 3 years experience of working in a financial management role
- Turkish or Arabic Speaking skills
- Experience of working in the INGO sector, with preference to those who have worked in emergency responses
- Knowledge of all the major institutional donors ie USAID, FCDO, ECHO
Accountability within GOAL
A commitment to GOAL values and GOAL’s integrity framework is critical to working with GOAL. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability: 1) Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols; 2) Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area; 3) Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Equal Employer Statement
Consistent with GOAL’s core values of humanitarianism; integrity; respect; partnership and courage, we place a significant emphasis on equality in our working environment.
GOAL is committed to treating all its employees with dignity and respect and values diversity, which it believes enriches an organisation. To reinforce this commitment, all company activities, policies, practices and procedures are to be carried out in accordance with this global standard.
All employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling GOAL’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and equal treatment. GOAL does not discriminate against any employee or volunteer; or any applicant for employment or volunteering on the basis of age, gender identity, ancestry, political opinion, civil status, medical condition, ethnic background, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
GOAL believes that our strong commitment to equal opportunity and equal treatment helps to ensure that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, compensation, benefits, retention, and discipline of staff and volunteers.
GOAL aims to provide a work environment that fosters fairness, equity, and respect for social and cultural diversity, and that is free from discrimination, harassment [and vilification] as determined by applicable laws.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.