Job Title:; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Systems Director
Country and Location:; ; ; Blantyre, Malawi, with occasional travel to Lilongwe and field sites
Contract Duration:; ; ; ; ; ; ;24 Months
Reports to:; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Country Director
The Systems Director - GOAL Malawi provides strong leadership as a member of senior management, promotes good stewardship, and provides direction to the Systems function, as well as enhancing cross functional communication thus ensuring that systems support effective programming. The Systems Director will work closely with the Country Director (CD) and Head of Programmes, in strategic planning to ensure that the support structure adequately supports the programme. ;
The Systems department comprises Logistics, HR, Administration, IT and Compliance.;
Description of the Role:
- Provide support and leadership for GOAL Malawi internal support systems.
- Enhancing cross functional communication thus ensuring that systems support effective programme development and implementation.
- Manage Logistics, Human Resources, IT and Compliance to facilitate support for current and future programmes in line with GOAL policies and good practice.
- Actively participate in the Senior Management Team, contributing to the ongoing; development of the Malawi country programmes.
- Along with other Senior Management, actively manage the Country’s risk profile by ensuring that policies and procedures are in place, participating in the management of the country Risk Register and addressing internal audit and compliance issues.
- Assist the CD in the management of the Security Plan and monitor staff's understanding and implementation of the plan at every level.;
- Direct line management of Area Coordinators, Logistics Manager, Compliance Manager, Senior HR Officer, and IT Officer. Guide and coach direct reports to ensure that HR, Finance, Logistics, Administration and IT policies are appropriate for the organization and applicable to the changing strategic direction and programmes in GOAL Malawi.;
- Support the SMT to actively promote a supportive working environment for staff.
- Set a strong example for adherence to GOAL Malawi’s accountability, safeguarding and protection initiatives, both internally and for the people reached by the programme.
- Carry out regular management visits and provide field visit reports to the SMT for all field locations.
- Represent GOAL and the country programme where relevant to external stakeholders.
- Deputise for the Country Director when required and undertake any additional duties as mutually agreed with the Country Director.;
;Duties and responsibilities
- Direct management of the Logistics Manager.
- Supervision of all logistical operations at the various field and support sites: including procurement, supply chain, asset management, fixed asset register and fleet management.
- Improving cost-effectiveness by saving time or money through use of framework contracts, improved coordination of programme activities, purchasing and transport.
- Ensure strong and timely coordination between the Logistic teams in Blantyre and in the field sites.
- Ensure compliance of all logistical operations with GOAL’s global Logistics Manual and with Donor requirements.
- Ensure internal logistics reports are submitted by the field to Blantyre on time and that they are reviewed, and analyzed, and appropriate action taken.
- Ensuring logistics reports are submitted to Dublin on time.
- Ensure that the Logistics Manager manages timely negotiation of property contracts and ensure that property is well maintained and secure.
- Ensure that the GOAL transport fleet serves the needs of the programme.
- Liaise with HO in Dublin on systems, logs issues, etc. as appropriate.
- Support the Country Director and the Area Coordinators in the management of security.
- Direct line management of the district- based Area Coordinators.
- Implement GOAL’s Security Guidelines and Procedures and ensure that staff are familiar with these guidelines and procedures.;
- With the SMT, periodically review the specific security guidelines.
- Ensure all office and accommodation meet basic security standards, including fire prevention, lockdown, and evacuation procedures.;
- Ensure that security briefings to all staff/visitors arriving at the site for the first time are appropriate and carried out.
- Monitor the security situation and provide regular information to the CD of any incidents, changes or adverse conditions affecting staff safety or project operations in the region.
Human Resource Management and Administration;;
- Provide guidance and direction to the Human Resources team. .Provide leadership for Human Resources management and promote an organization environment which is fair, open, protective and which fosters a learning culture.
- Ensure that HR planning, including succession planning, is developed in coordination with annual programme planning.;
- Support management to implement an effective annual performance review and development process.
- Ensure periodic reviews of salary scales and the national HR Manual, compliant with local regulations.;
- Liaise with HO in Dublin on all HR related systems, issues, etc., as appropriate.
- Support senior staff to implement training and development plans for all GOAL Malawi staff. Devise ways of identifying training needs and ensuring the applicability of same on the job. Advise senior staff, accordingly, provide support to the HR Officer in identifying training and development programmes to be prioritized.
- Support the HR Officer in reviewing staff legal cases; review reports produced by HR on cases followed up by the Legal Representative.
- Ensure efficient and effective administration systems are in place, in line with GOAL policy.
- Ensure that visitors and new staff are provided with welcome packs, schedules and in-country briefings including ensuring the quality of systems induction to new staff members.;
- Ensure GOAL Malawi adheres to the regulatory requirements of the government of Malawi with regard to visas, work permits and registration in liaison with the Country Director.
- Ensure that the IT planning reflects programme priorities, and the development of an IT strategy to ensure that IT is sufficient for future programme requirements (e.g. DDR, automated Supply chain, share point etc.).
- Provide support and oversight for IT related issues including stable finance and network server and adherence to IT guidelines.
- Liaise with Dublin IT support in relation to IT maintenance and IT equipment management and formatting.
- Ensure that regular back-ups and virus checks are carried out.
- Coordinate with the Country Finance Team to ensure that develop and monitor cost budget.
- Manage the equipment budget for GOAL Malawi.
- Ensure organizational compliance to donor financial policies and guidelines.
- Support the Financial Controller (FC) as required with the preparation of budgets for donor proposals, the preparation and finalization of annual budget and quarterly rolling budgets, and the preparation of the year-end financial statements.
- In conjunction with the FC, monitoring and controlling of expenditure on the core costs budgets to ensure that it stays within available funding and agreed budgets using budget monitoring tools and highlight, as appropriate, under/overspends and agree actions required.;
Internal Audit / Donor Compliance/Investigation;;
- Stay informed of and ensure adherence to the standard of all GOAL procedures and policies in relation to Logistics, Finance, HR, Programmes, etc., as set out in the relevant manuals, policies and guidelines.
- Work closely with the Compliance Manager to ensure adequate training, capacity building and support is provided to GOAL staff to enhance their knowledge and understanding of GOAL and Donor policies and procedures and ensure proper implementation and on-going use.
- With the Compliance Manager, support implementation of GOAL’s systems of internal controls in the systems functions, and work with the SMT to identify improvements where necessary across all departments, including programmes, finance, logistics, HR and IT.
- With the CD and Compliance Manager, ensure that risk management processes are effectively embedded throughout the organisation.
- Provide support to any internal audit, compliance and financial investigation assignments as requested by the CD, Compliance Manager, Internal Auditors or HQ Investigations team, ensuring GOAL policies are followed.;
- Support GOAL Malawi’s capacity building of local implementing partners in the areas of systems, controls, and compliance.
- Attendance and input at all Grant Management Meetings (GMM)Support programmes staff to develop Procurement Plans for new grants.
- Ensure appropriate logistical support is provided to programme teams to facilitate the timely delivery of all project activities.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Minimum 10 years previous experience in HR, administration, and logistics related management, with at least 2 years at a senior management level.
- 3 + years of previous overseas management experience
- Education to Masters’ level in a related subject.
- Good understanding of donor rules and regulations and implementation of strong compliance and control framework.
- Experience liaising with governmental / local authorities and other NGOs.
- Excellent attention to detail essential.
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills to plan projects, timetable activities, and oversee staff work.
- Proven strong budgetary control and financial management skills.
- Proven track record in systems implementation and development.
- Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
- An interest in capacity building/mentoring of teams.
- Excellent staff management and personnel skills.
- Excellent analytical, writing skills and training skills.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behavior protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.