Overview / Objectives of the position:
Under the strategic guidance of the Deputy Director of Programme Quality and reporting to the Senior Programme Quality Coordinator (SPQC), the Learning and Knowledge Management Coordinator will lead on the development and roll out of GOAL Syria’s Learning Strategy and subsequent implementation of the Learning Strategy for the country mission. As part of the Programme Quality department, the Learning and Knowledge Management Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the systematic capturing and sharing of programmatic learning throughout the GOAL Syria programme and beyond. S/he will be tasked with identifying strategic learning goals while ensuring that they are harmonised with learning priorities at GOAL HQ. The Learning and Knowledge Management Coordinator will improve GOAL and partner engagement and capacity around learning while establishing and maintaining a learning culture across organisations. The ability to work with a diverse group across programme teams and partners, both directly and remotely will be essential to the success of the position.
Key responsibilities include promoting ;a learning culture across GOAL’s programming, overseeing and supporting the design and assimilation ;of learning capture methodologies, as well as the strategic dissemination of lessons learnt tailored for programme staff across a number of sectors to support the development and implementation of knowledge-driven programming, continuous learning and evidence-based decision-making processes within GOAL and partners.
Job Responsibility #1:; Execute GOAL Syria’s Learning Capture and Capitalisation strategy and support effective learning and knowledge management structure and systems.
% of Time:; 50
- In consultation with key stakeholders, craft GOAL Syria and partner’s Learning Capture & Capitalisation Strategy including capture methodologies and strategic learning objectives at sector, mission and HQ levels ensuring alignment with GOAL’s Syria’s wider country strategy and Annual Country Plan.
- Lead the roll-out of GOAL Syria’s Learning Strategy.
- Oversee the design and roll out of a Knowledge Management Platform for GOAL Syria to support the synthesis of learning across projects and sectors and promote the integration of recommendations and lessons learnt in project planning and future programming northwest Syria.
- Ensure that learning capitalisation processes are supported through analysis of relevant program data and presented using suitable data visualization techniques to support the evidence-based decision making for program development and planning purposes.
- Work with MEAL HQ, Technical Advisors, and other teams to convert complex technical data into well-written content suitable for a range of audiences.
- Lead regular Learning Review Consultations & Workshops with key stakeholders in GOAL Syria’s programmes.
- Continuously look to incorporate new tools and technologies to capture learning. Collaborate with the wider Syria team to ensure that learning tools are embedded into existing processes and practices.
- Establish and lead learning capture processes with GOAL partners, including facilitating regular forums to discuss lessons learnt, and their application to future programme design.
- Work closely with the MEL Coordinator and Accountability Coordinators and Programme Coordinators to disseminate key insights and lessons learnt; and serve as a focal point for Syria’s MEL and Accountability Coordinators and wider team on learning information requests.
- Actively participate in the process of annual program review and planning.
- Edit donor reports; providing quality analysis on how GOAL capitalises on learning to enhance and improve programming.
- Together with the ICT and MIS departments, identify appropriate technology solutions for knowledge management & learning (i.e. document/content management, communication channels, powerBI dashboards & GIS, etc.)
;Job Responsibility #2: Support with Internal/External Engagement and Communications
% of Time:; 20
The Learning and Knowledge Management Coordinator will drive and support the internal and external communications of learning from – and impact of - GOAL Syria’s programming throughout the organization at large, by developing a variety of multimedia products. The incumbent will be expected to coordinate and manage;a diverse communications portfolio, lead on special projects, produce impact reports on learnings.
- Design and execute a work plan to disseminate findings, knowledge, and guidance through various avenues, including but not limited to communities of practice, virtual or on-site workshops, conferences, and webinars, at global, regional, or country-specific levels.
- Support the Syria Communications & Media Manager to provide a regular flow of high-level content for the GOAL HQ comms team on GOAL’s work in Syria.
- Craft strategic learning briefs and write high level reports, highlight success stories, support the communication of program impact/overall results, targeting a variety of external audiences including, donors, and partners.
- Work closely with GOAL’s HQ MEAL team to disseminate learning products within and outside the organization.
- Identify evidence and practice to support advocacy and external; debates and/or representation and information sharing.
- Lead, with the support of the SPD and DPPQ in, the development of learning products and materials for use in policy engagement/influence and donor advocacy.
- Identify and capitalise on opportunities for learning at a regional level with other GOAL MENA offices;
Job Responsibility #3: Research & Thought Leadership
% of Time:; 20
- Develop annual research learning agenda for GOAL Syria in consultation with Programme teams and HQ Design and Innovation Department and update it on a regular basis.
- Promote thought leadership internally and externally through dissemination of research topics and critical programme findings, learnings and knowledge.
- Support SPWC and MEL Coordinator on internal research initiatives for GOAL Syria and represent country mission on all external research initiatives that involve the region/HQ.
- In close coordination with HQ Design & Innovation OR be GOAL Syria focal person for HQ Design & Innovation to manage research activities of university researchers and the partnership with;academic;institutions to ensure their activities support and enhance;GOAL Syria
Job Responsibility #4:; Lead, Mentor, and Manage Staff
% of Time:; 10
- Ensure the proper implementation of GOAL’s performance management system for direct reports, including individual and project planning, , regular feedback, coaching and mentoring, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Maintain a focus on the training and development needs of direct reports
- Support an organisational culture that reflects GOAL’s mandate, values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourage a team culture of learning, and innovation.
- Oversee the recruitment and orientation of new direct reports.
Requirements: Technical & Functional skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in leading the development and implementation of organisational learning strategies
- High level presentation skills and experience using a variety of visual and written communication approaches.
- Experienced in designing and leading workshops to facilitate the capture of learning and best practices.
- Experience in preparation of high-quality visuals capturing learning and in a simplified manner
- Ability to engage, seek and provide clarity and deliver on issues that are not always clear
Requirements: GOAL Competencies
- Communication: Skilled communicator and ability to work effectively across multiple cultures, including remotely.
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, and to continually reprioritise multiple tasks as a result of new information.
- Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and interpersonal skills.
- Travel: Ability and willingness to travel to Turkey and regionally when required.
- Good contextual knowledge of North West Syria ‐ social, cultural and economic context, priorities and constraints.
- Previous experience with humanitarian NGOs or UN agencies is desirable.
- Minimum of one (1) year of managing staff or leading team projects.
- Ability to work effectively and independently within a multi-cultural team with differing areas of expertise.
General terms and conditions
A commitment to GOAL values and GOAL’s integrity framework is critical to working with GOAL. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
- Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated.; Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible.; This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date.; We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.