This is a fast-paced role within GOAL’s busy communications department based in GOAL headquarters in Dublin. The Communications Officer will play a key part in telling GOAL’s story and providing communications support to all GOAL’s programme work, fund-raising and public engagement activities. The successful candidate will be in a unique position to highlight crises in the developing world and the role that GOAL plays.
Injecting energy and creativity, the role will focus on promoting GOAL’s work through print, broadcast, and online media in Ireland and abroad.
This role requires a creative individual who is passionate about making a difference.Duties and responsibilities
Media Relations and PR
- Pitching news stories and features on GOAL’s programme to media (national, local and International) in print, radio, TV and online
- Writing impactful, clear, press releases
- Developing media relationships
- Fielding media queries
- Leading on organising events, photo-shoots, and media visits to Goal’s countries of operation.
- Putting together monthly media reports and analysis
- Developing a network of media contacts at home and abroad
- Provide support to GOAL's Fundraising and Marketing Team on campaigns and events, including flagship events like the GOAL Mile, Jersey Day and Emergency Appeals.
- Act as a point of contact to the Fundraising Team for Communications related activities, such as photography and videography, social media, content and media engagement.
- Input into Fundraising campaign and events strategy and planning to ensure complimentary and effective approaches and activities.
- Support the Fundraising Team on content and developing marketing materials, ensuring consistency of messaging with all of GOAL’s work
- Provide support to GOAL's Global Citizenship Team on its Development Education Programme, campaigns and events, including Changemakers Awards and launch of Youth Development Programme
- Act as a point of contact to the Global Citizenship Team for Communications related activities, such as photography and videography, social media, content and media engagement.
- Input into Global Citizenship Team campaigns and events strategy and planning to ensure complimentary and effective approaches and activities.
- Support the Fundraising Team on content and developing marketing materials ensuring consistency of messaging with all of GOAL’s work.
- Initiate and co-ordinate pulling together content “packages” (working with digital media team) including video, photographs and words
- Working with media focal points and overseas staff in GOAL’s 13 countries of operation to generate engaging content for various platforms, including the GOAL website, social media and traditional media, and staff newsletter
- Working with GOAL HQ staff, including desk officers, to extract content
- Assist in editing and proof-reading communications products, including promotional materials, impact stories, photographs, video and social media content
- Lead out on staff newsletter
- Help communicate our work and messaging to our staff across the world through regular email updates
- Minimum of 3-4 year’s experience in PR and communications
- Track record in content development
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft including Power Point and Excel
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritise work schedules
- Ability to work solo or in a team
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and respond to new opportunities and out of office work hour demands
- Thorough and precise in all aspects of work with a good attention to detail
- Being a self-starter
- Good networker
- Previous experience working with a humanitarian / international development agency
- Digital skills
Accountabilitywithin GOALA commitment to GOAL values and GOAL’s integrity framework is critical to working with GOAL. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas ofaccountability: 1)Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols; 2) Report any concerns about the welfare of a childor vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area; 3) Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
SafeguardingChildren and vulnerable adults whocome into contact withGOAL as a result of our activitiesmust be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Equal Employer StatementConsistent with GOAL’s core values of humanitarianism; integrity; respect; partnership and courage, we place a significant emphasis on equality in our working environment.GOAL is committed to treating all its employees with dignity and respect and values diversity, which it believes enriches an organisation. To reinforce this commitment, all company activities, policies, practices and procedures are to be carried out in accordance with this global standard.All employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling GOAL’scommitment to equal employment opportunityand equal treatment. GOAL does not discriminate against any employeeor volunteer; or any applicant for employment or volunteering on the basis of age, gender identity, ancestry, political opinion, civil status, medical condition, ethnic background, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.GOAL believes that our strong commitment to equal opportunity and equal treatment helps to ensure that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, compensation, benefits, retention, and discipline of staff and volunteers.GOAL aims to provide a work environment that fosters fairness, equity, and respect for social and cultural diversity, and that is free from discrimination, harassment [andvilification] as determined by applicable laws.
General Terms and ConditionsThis Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.